This year, with news spreading of their deliciousness, our gingerbread cookies have seen a proliferation in orders. Thousands have already been served at industry events and ordered for holiday dinners by our restaurant & hotel partners, not to mention handed out by our team at charity fundraisers, and decorated by the little hands at our very own Holiday Cookie Decorating Party! I look forward to this time of year if for no other reason than to eat these bad-boys, they are THAT GOOD*! Soft and slightly chewy.
It’s a fairly involved recipe and not for the faint of heart, but our Head Baker Jeff has mastered it, and our team of decorators make fast work of the many shapes this cookie takes on. Classic ginger-people, reindeer, and of course our favorites the gingerbread moose and gingerbread llama! This recipe is truly classic gingerbread with the molasses and all the yumminess for adults to enjoy too! We wouldn’t have it any other way.
This holiday season started early when we joined the team at Loews Coronado Bay Resort to put on their now SUPER-famous “Light Up the Night” event which is possibly the most “happening” event all season on-island for Coronado & Imperial Beach residents! This event brought out 300 guests last year, but nearly 1500 this year!!! Lines of children and families stretched out the door of the lobby, around their stunning peninsula property, into every side garden, and down the driveway. Our Cookie decorating booth was so busy that I had to bring in the Big Guns – 5 Loews Executive Staff, from the Director of Sales to the Head of Housekeeping helped as elves with the Sweet Cheeks Baking Co. tables! Great team effort!
We were next requested for a “De-Stress Cookie Decorating” station at University of San Diego (USD), giving students a chance to ease the pain of studying for midterms…they LOVED IT! Many thanks to their student relations specialist Danielle Flores for putting together such a fun activity!
Most recently, and most dear to our hearts, we hosted an Open House Holiday Cookie Decorating Party here at our kitchen this past weekend. What a turnout we had all morning, and what wonderful friends helped us make it super fun for the little hands creating masterpieces! We spread out the entire kitchen with kraft paper, gingerbread characters, royal icing, and sprinkles (and OH YES, we will continue to find sprinkles for the next week, no matter how much we sweep & mop). So cool to see everyone from 5-year olds to their parents, from makeup artists to photographers, coming up with unique & delicious designs – from gingers in sweater vests to bikinis & grass skirts…the level of detail was exceptional!
* This recipe is not for gingerbread house building but ideal for hand crafted cookies.
Many thanks to these awesome Friendors who always make that extra effort for us:
- Loren James, owner & creator at Four Things Paper – for showing her genius art skills thru face painting (just for us, this is NOT her job)
- Jillian Ziska, owner & designer at TBDesigned – for loaning us the perfect height benches to stand on, sit on, and look nice…immensely helpful!
- David & Morgan Manning, owners of Red Photo Booth – the kids went crazy for your booth, and the pics are crystal clear fun!
- Kim Benham, owner of Toast Catering – for loaning us that much needed hot chocolate warmer…OH, was it delicious and perfect for the day!
- Lauren Rennie, Designer at Sweet Cheeks Baking Co. – for always going above & beyond for our clients, our friends, and our company – you are a TREASURE, my dear!
- Diane Aronson, Designer and all around awesomeness at Sweet Cheeks Baking Co. – for busting ass & taking names, keeping the party running on the fuel of cookies and hot cocoa while managing this week’s orders in a 3′ space, you rock!
This last week before Christmas, we will continue to send out the last of the orders for this delicious holiday treat and reminisce about these memories for the whole year to come. Gingerbread brings nourishment to the soul and smiles to our hearts. How delicious!
Merry Christmas, everyone!
- 3 lbs – Butter, cut into pieces
- 32 oz – Molasses
- 24 oz – Honey
- 16 oz – Oil
- 12 oz – Brown sugar
- 6 lbs. 6 oz – AP flour, sifted
- 5 Tbsp (1.5oz) – Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp (1/2oz) – Ginger
- 3 Tbsp – Baking powder
- 3 tsp – Cloves
- 3 tsp – Baking soda
- 3 tsp -Salt
- Preheat oven to 325º
- In a saucepan, stir together butter, molasses, honey, oil and brown sugar
- Cook, stirring over medium high heat until butter is melted and the mixture comes to full boil
- Boil for a full minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cloves and salt.
- Pour the molasses mix over the dry ingredients
- Beat with mixer on low then medium speed until very well blended.
- For immediate use, cover and chill for 1 hour or put in freezer for 30 to 40 minutes
- Bake for 9 to 14 minutes.
- Roll to thickness on sheeter to 6
- 14 lbs of dough
Give our recipe a try and feel free to share your photos to our Facebook page! We’d love to see your creations!
Leave A Comment